Labels

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Day 7 - Elizabeth Harborne by The Scarlet Letter


Did not stitch or do very much over the Memorial Day weekend - still trying to just get better... stayed away from family gettogethers and just tried to rest , watched the French Open Tennis championships etc.

I decided not to skip bands and just stitch the bands with the information I had been provided with the
chart and it proved to be just fine... it made it quite obvious to me that the fever was impairing my thinking when I was trying to 'figure' things out in my last post.  Needlework has always been a good way for me to gauge how I am feeling in times of illness and is an excellent indicator as to how and when I should reconnect to my other activities (i.e. work)... detail is important to me when it comes to my needlework but it is even more important to me when it comes to my work!

Anyway, here is my progress to date... it was an enjoyable band to stitch and some of the effects are similar to other samplers I've stitched most notably Ann Holewll by The Examplarery comes to mind.  Ann Holewll is a beautiful sampler languishing in my "finished samplers drawer".  If memory serves me right Elizabeth Harbone is an earlier example  (1647) and Ann Holewll came later (1699)...have to check my books one of these days to follow up on this.  Lots of interesting 'research' ahead - English vs. American samplers - school of Juda Hayle etc.... but for now... this is what I accomplished on Day 7 of tackling Elizabeth Harbone :


Day 7 Elizabeth Harborne
The Song of my Needle

Day 7 Elizabeth Harborne
The Song of my Needle

Day 7 Elizabeth Harborne
The Song of my Needle
Day 7 Elizabeth Harborne
The Song of my Needle
Day 7 Elizabeth Harborne
The Song of my Needle

Day 7 Elizabeth Harborne
The Song of my Needle
I have tried to capture the three dimensional aspect with some of the closeup views.
I love the possibilites embedded within simple designs... there are so many ideas that went through my mind on variations of stitches, color  and techniques etc..... lots of ideas - too little time!  We all know how that goes!





1 comment:

samplerlover said...

Elizabeth is looking quite lovely. I always find that needlework is a great stress reliever and has gotten me through msny a tough time. - Sandra.